Monday, November 8, 2010

Chinese Literature on Hayek, 8th Nov., 2010.

I searched the National Library of China's catalog for "Hayek."  It came up with 107 results.  I was surprised by the number of Masters and Ph.D. theses they had on Hayek, written in the last five years.





Professor Zhenglai Deng, of Fudan University (Shanghai), seems to have the most work published.  The publishing houses are interesting; Peking University Press, Jiangxi People's Press, Shandong People's Press, Hebei University Press, Fudan University Press, Intellectual Property Press, etc.

I'm told that many university publishing houses will publish or translate work that no one on the faculty cares about or really understands, simply to make their publishing record look better.  So I will be careful to only focus on reliable authors who add to the debate.

While doing this research, I have noticed a minor linguistic difference, but which could be key to my research.  That is, the difference in the transliteration of F.A. Hayek and Carl Menger's names into Chinese.

As you can see, the Mainland names are closer to the English spelling of the name, but the Taiwanese names are closer to the English pronunciation.  This tells me that Taiwanese and Mainland scholars' exposure to the Austrian School of Economics came from different sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment